Although the preceptorship experience differs for every student, the objectives are designed so that each student will receive a well-rounded experience. The program’s emphasis is to familiarize medical students with the operation of a clinical practice and allow them to experience the full range of activities in the life of a General Internist. Preceptorship exposes the student to many of your activities as a physician and member of the community. Although the central goal is student participation in the physician's office activities, participation in hospital rounds, meetings, and professional activities is encouraged.
GIMSPP offers what ordinary shadowing experiences cannot – immersion in the day-to-day workings of a physician practicing internal medicine. For medical students, GIMSPP is your opportunity to:
- Develop new clinical skills.
- Learn how to interact directly with patients and their families.
- Establish skills to connect learned illnesses and diseases to actual patients.
- See first-hand how physicians keep up with the demands of the job and their personal life
- Work within a team of allied health professionals.
- Explore office management procedures.
- Participate in civic and social activities of community physicians.
- Discover the rewards and benefits of a medical career.
- Understand the physician's place in society.
- Develop medical values and goals.