MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS & HOW TO JOIN
The Texas Chapter of the ACP
is one of the American College of Physicians's (ACP)
most active and robust state chapters with more than 8,000 physicians, residents, and student members. The ACP is a diverse community of internal medicine specialist and subspecialists united by a commitment to excellence. ACP is the largest medical-specialty society in the world with 159,000 members in countries across the globe.
At the national and state levels, the Texas Chapter and ACP together provide a powerful voice for our specialty and patients on such issues as Medicare reform, patients' rights, physician compensation, and especially, patients' access to health care. A shared commitment to the highest degree of professionalism in clinical care, medical research, education, and advocacy sets ACP members apart in the competitive field of internal medicine and its subspecialties.
5-Minute Membership Application. Click here for more information!
What Are the Member Benefits to the Texas Chapter of the ACP?
Power of Advocacy
- Grassroots advocacy on Texas-specific issues to improve access to care and public health, as well as national efforts on issues such as Medicare reform -- see Advocacy section.
- Internal Medicine representation on the Medicare Carrier Advisory Committee, Texas Medical Association's Council on Legislation, and Governor's Ad Hoc Committee on Collaborative Practice.
- Annual visits to members of Congress in Washington, DC, during ACP's advocacy day.
- National broadcast coverage of ACP's monthly Internal Medicine Report features new research from Annals of Internal Medicine, clinical guidelines, healthcare advocacy issues, and a host of other topics, raising awareness about internal medicine, internists, and ACP.
Art and Science of Medicine
- Free access to reliable resources that help physicians complete the ABIM Self-Evaluation Process (SEP) Modules.
- Online Career Center, Texas-specific practice management tools, advocacy updates, and chapter news at www.txacp.org
- DynaMed Plus provides relevant information in an easy to digest format for fast implementation at the point-of-care.
- The latest medical literature via subscription and online access to Annals of Internal Medicine, ACP Journal Club, and ACP Observer.
Cultivation of Community
- The Texas Internist newsletter, published three times per year.
- Annual chapter and national scientific meetings that provide CME and networking opportunities.
- Members-only online discussion groups that help physicians find solutions to common challenges.
Shaping the Future
- Superb regional programs for medical students and residents to encourage them to choose internal medicine.
- Statewide preceptorship program that since 1995, has paired thousands of medical students with a general internist for a first-hand look at the life of an internist – for program details, see GIMSPP Program Overview.
- Dynamic internal medicine student interest groups active at each of the state's nine medical schools.
- ACP's Practice Management Center (PMC), offering online and personal assistance with all aspects of practice management.
- Mobile Clinical Guidelines Internal medicine physicians and other clinicians can access ACP's evidence-based clinical recommendations through the ACP Clinical Guidelines mobile app.
- Texas Chapter of the ACP online Career Center, free to members who are seeking a position or looking for a partner.
- Patients & Families, ACP's Patient FACTS series is a new, patient-tested resource designed to help patients and their caregivers increase their understanding of common health conditions.
- Significant discounts on college products such as MKSAP and books.
How to Join?
Questions about eligibility requirements should be directed to the ACP Member Records Section, (800) 523-1546.